Sunday, October 31, 2010

Nintendo Sage - Week in Review - 10/31/10

Happy Halloween!

Welcome to the very first installment of The Nintendo Sage Week in Review. In this segment, recurring every Sunday, we will filter through all of the Nintendo related news coming through the internet warp pipes over the course of the previous week to find only the most important items and shine a spotlight on them for your reading pleasure. How do we determine what's important and what's not? Drool. Yeah, you heard us
right, and we'll throw in foam and froth for good measure. If the news is of the particular variety to elicit any of these bodily fluids from a legitimate Nintendo fan, then you can bet we will include it in our week in review spotlights. The frothier the better. Zombies ain't got nothin' on us! The mad, devoted Nintendo fan base! We've been drooling for decades and frothing since at least 2003. So grab a bucket, a towel or whatever else you'll need to keep yourself dry and let's get rolling!

(Proof of our frothing madness!)
The most drool worthy news coming out of Nintendo last week was the announcement that on December 12th, 2010 Nintendo of America would be bringing over the Super Mario Bros. 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Bundle which was recently released in Japan and went on to become the top selling game in that market during it's release window. The bundle is epic awesomeness. At $29.99 MSRP it will include a Wii game disc containing the SNES version of Super Mario All-Stars (16 bit renditions of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3), a soundtrack disc containing tracks from allegedly every game in the Mario Bros. series and a 30 page art book showcasing never before seen, behind the scenes design sketches used during the development process for the games.


It looks like the bundle will be arriving in a very nice, deluxe slipcover styled casing. Inside will rest your standard Wii DVD like games cases for the game disc and soundtrack along with the art book. The design on the front is simple, stylish and brazenly "Mario" red. Fans will no doubt be eager to pump the soundtrack which contains at least one track never before released on CD. Unfortunately, the bundle will be arriving in limited numbers so I would advise you to PRE-ORDER NOW wherever you do your pre-ordering.


If you are a longtime Nintendo fan, Super Mario All-Stars needs no introduction. Every game in the compilation is of course a classic with some of the most colorfully impressive graphics, exquisite audio, and masterfully constructed gameplay to be released during the 16 bit era. For those of you who have never played it, it contains the definitive versions of all of the aforementioned games along with the only U.S. release of "The Lost Levels" which was the real 'Super Mario Bros. 2' in Japan. (Our Super Mario Bros. 2 was adapted from a previously released Japanese game called 'Doki Doki Panic' for the U.S market exclusively and was later ported to Japan as 'Super Mario Bros. U.S.A.') For a more thorough breakdown and analysis of 'Super Mario All-Stars' for the SNES, please look forward to our Retro Review coming up on Wednesday in celebration of the games impending arrival. In the mean time click on the link below to view a Japanese advertisment for the game to help get you salivating. Got your bucket ready?


 



                               Super Mario 25th Anniversary Wii

...and that's about it. It was a pretty slow week for Nintendo as far as big announcements go. Oh sure there was other news, but none of it nearly foam inducing enough for the likes of us. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to wipe the froth off my keyboard. Visit us tomorrow for the start of our new ongoing editorial "You know you're hardcore when..." where we will detail the finer points of being a "HARD-CORE" gamer. Every day this week we will be rolling out new ongoing features for the blog so check back daily and of course we will also be right here again next Sunday for another Nintendo Sage Week in Review!

Trick or Treat!

-The Nintendo Sage


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello again,

I found your writing piece very interesting, Nintendo Sage", about how each of your controllers were named throughout the years. For myself, I did name only a few of my controllers but I cannot remember at this time. However, when I played my video games back in the day, I usually saw myself as the characters that I played.

For instance, even when games had multiple characters within the story, I would play a character and portray that character while I was playing. I would not play a character right away, I would play until I got to know most of the characters (usually 15% when I chose). Additionally, I chose character that I felt I represented and I feel close to.

This game me a rich experience when I play video games and I still do this method of gaming up to current time. So Nintendo Sage, when you mention that you do things such as "Name your controllers" and what not, I know exactly where you coming from. Maybe be some childish side coming out but hey, its fun and video games are too awesome to not think like this! =D

Thank for tuning in to my comment everyone!

-Blackflare12